What does this mean: All images should have valid EXIF camera info

BostonGuy

Question

Am a new contributor and want to upload my first pictures.

Could someone explain what EXIF info is?

Also it seems I need to buy an image program, such as Photoshop or Affinity to get the uncompressed file size of a picture?

Another important question is it okay to make changes to a picture using an image program then submit this picture?

Appreciate feedback from the community.

Thanks,

Eric Packer

2 answers to this question

Hi Eric @BostonGuy

Could someone explain what EXIF info is? This is some basic information about the camera, lens used, date time etc. which are automatically attached to an image. More details here might help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif 

Also it seems I need to buy an image program, such as Photoshop or Affinity to get the uncompressed file size of a picture? - You should be able to submit any JPEG as long as it is shot in one of the Alamy approved cameras. I have not done any compression of files before submitting.

Another important question is it okay to make changes to a picture using an image program then submit this picture? - Most here do use one of the free/paid software tools to edit the pictures to enhance it. I wouldn't recommend doing some unrealistic level of edits as buyers mostly look for authentic images.

I hope these helps.

Gnans

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BostonGuy said:

Am a new contributor and want to upload my first pictures.

Could someone explain what EXIF info is?

Also it seems I need to buy an image program, such as Photoshop or Affinity to get the uncompressed file size of a picture?

Another important question is it okay to make changes to a picture using an image program then submit this picture?

Appreciate feedback from the community.

Thanks,

Eric Packer

if your camera can output jpg, is not a cellphone, has a minimum picture size of 3000x2000 (which corresponds roughly to 17.2mb uncompressed), not grainy, not blurry, then you've cleared most of the main hurdles with submission. your camera should already include all the exif info in that photo. if you prefer not to shoot jpg, but raw files, you have to use an image program (like the program included with your camera) to convert those images into jpg before submission. 

you can also use an image program to make changes with caveats depending on your end goal.