Midlands industrial town c 1960

geogphotos

6 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Good to see that was resolved, albeit not where I thought, but brought back many happy memories for me of far better times. 

Many thanks for your help Ray.

I have a few others which you might like to see. These are Kings Heath so in south Brum not all that far from your home.

The first one with the Vauxhall Viva ( as I learnt) was posted on another thread. This is Ancaster Road in 1964, standing on the corner of Mossfield Road - looks like the end a new parade of shops nearing completion on the corner.

Opposite is Ancaster Road Post Office and a mix of pleasant low key buildings going up to the church.

Below is the same view today:

I000083ZRS91YRRg.jpg

I0000fHeGAQIaw3M.jpg

Perhaps you were tempted over to Kings Heath by the opportunity to have a takeaway hamburger from the Silver Grill ( opened a couple of years earlier). 

The site is now a charity shop. 

I0000h3z7lyKHTCQ.jpg

Then these three - the first so typical of Birmingham, a small engineering workshop

I0000bqfvbMU94W0.jpg

I0000ZpnlFSEl4qo.jpg

I0000NZExW4.WQHI.jpg

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

Remember Kings Heath for the Ritz dance hall in the 60s but not really much else to be honest. Good shots though.

They were taken by the same photographer that did the West Bromwich one. She was a geography teacher so I can usually 'get' what she was seeing in a geography sense. 

This is her climbing Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu, Peru, South America c 1962

"The peak of Huayna Picchu is 2,693 metres (8,835 ft) above sea level, or about 260 metres (850 ft) higher than Machu Picchu."

Look at the clothes and footwear!

I0000hHIkiBcpUzs.jpg

and visiting a mine:

I0000ju23zjltHzA.jpg

One of her former students got in touch with me as a result of this and tells me that she was an inspirational teacher who used to take them out on all sorts of fieldtrips and use her slides to bring geography to life in the classroom. She remembers that few of them had colour TV in the early half of the 1960s so these images really brought the world to them.   

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3