Property release for Lincoln cathedral?

I have read everything I can find about when a release is needed. Model releases are OK, and pretty straightforward.

But property releases seem a bit more of a grey area. For example, if I take a photo of Lincoln Cathedral from the pavement (so not on private land), would I need a property release?

The person who owns the property hasn't given me permission so presumably it would need a property release, or else be sold for editorial use only?

Also, would this be classed as private or public property? Alamy gives the example of a government building being public property and therefore not requiring a release.

Should I always submit images of buildings and landmarks as 'yes' to requiring a release? 

Hi Patstubbs,

If you take a photo of Lincoln Cathedral from public property, or even on its land itself, you do not need a property release for editorial image use. I generally play safe with churches/cathedrals and say that they require a property release and I dont have one. (I presume they are the property of the church of England). 

Generally if the photograph is specifically of the building, or the building forms a large part of the image, then I say "Yes" to requiring a release and "No" I dont have one. If the image is of many buildings as in a city street scene or a skyline, I generally say a property release is not needed.

Hope this helps

Kumar

Lincoln skyline, you could maybe mark as not requiring. Cathedral, definitely private property and so is every part of the close from which you can view it - all owned by the Diocese or the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, so what you may think is a public road is actually on church land. Why worry? I've sold Lincoln pix without property release for good fees. I spent a year doing the pictures for their PR director and have quite a few I can't release for stock, but enough taken under my own initiative at the time (must get round to finding more of them).

Archived