Upgraded to latest LRC lost sidecar files.

Allan Bell

Question

Before upgrading LRC I used to get sidecar files after processing RAW files.

Since upgrading to LRC (11) the sidecar files have disappeared. Are they now integrated with the RAW files or do they not exist with the latest update??

Puzzled Allan

6 answers to this question

Nothing has changed in regard to sidecar files. This is a Catalog specific setting. Check your Catalog Settings in the Lightroom Classic menu on the top left, third tab - Metadata and make sure Automatically write changes into XMP is checked. You can also generate them manually selecting the raw files in the Library and hitting Command-S (the Save Metadata to Files command in the Metadata menu.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MDM said:

Nothing has changed in regard to sidecar files. This is a Catalog specific setting. Check your Catalog Settings in the Lightroom Classic menu on the top left, third tab - Metadata and make sure Automatically write changes into XMO is checked. You can also generate them manually selecting the raw files in the Library and hitting Command-S (the Save Metadata to Files command in the Metadata menu.

Thanks Mick. I thought you would be able to help.

I wish they would leave our settings alone when upgrading.

Allan

Just checked and both "include develop settings  in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files"  AND "automatically write changes into XMP are ticked?

Should I untick the first "include - - - - - - "

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

YES. Thank you.

Allan

No problem Allan. Just to note this has nothing to do with Adobe and the update to V11. It is a catalog-specific setting, not a general Lightroom preference. It is not affected by updating a catalog - I have updated several catalogs from V10 to V11 and all have retained that Automatically write changes into XMP setting. The default is off so if you created a new catalog or updated an older one which did not have that set, then that would explain why it is off.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1