Need a gallery?

Dave Colman

Question

I have been playing around with my portfolio, swap images about every week to add a bit of interest. Only recently did I notice the gallery button, do we need to make a gallery, is it a good idea and helps sales? 

7 answers to this question

I'm just looking for ideas to increase exposure. Trying anything and everything I can.  My views are ok, increasing a lot recently but zooms are terrible, had 4 in the first couple of weeks and none since. Going back through and retagging but that's a slow process.

6 hours ago, Dave Colman said:

I'm just looking for ideas to increase exposure. Trying anything and everything I can.  My views are ok, increasing a lot recently but zooms are terrible, had 4 in the first couple of weeks and none since. Going back through and retagging but that's a slow process.

Hey Dave,

To what end are you looking to increase your exposure? The only reason I can see to maintain your Alamy portfolio is if you do commercial photography and have clients that you want to send the link to. I can't imagine that you can attract clients to your profile within the Alamy site unless you really produce top notch photos that stand out a mile from everyone else's - there's a ton of competition. I suspect the vast majority of clients on Alamy do individual searches for each picture need within the main catalogue, rather than searching within an individual photographer's portfolio.

Otherwise, you can share your portfolio all over social media or your personal website, but if you don't have any significant following, why would a potential client bother looking? I think you'd have to be active running around looking for clients - and that's really something that you need to do fairly full time if you want to be successful.

Steve

+1 to the above as well. If your end goal is increasing your sales on Alamy, then it's image quality, keywording and captioning, increasing the size of your portfolio and picking suitable subject matter that you think might sell.

Edited by Steve F

Thanks guys for the input, I am going back over the images and tagging as the whole stock photography is very new for me. 
I've had 20 sales in 6 weeks on other sites but very little interest here so I suppose the images are of interest to someone. 
I will keep plugging away.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Dave Colman said:

I've had 20 sales in 6 weeks on other sites but very little interest here so I suppose the images are of interest to someone. 

Same photos on Alamy and the other sites?   If the photos are available cheaper on the other sites, then they're not likely to get licensed from Alamy. 

Another random question to save me making a seperate thread, if I have images of a place on the what to shoot list do I just upload and then tick the box, cross fingers,sit back and wait? 
Want to get my images seen and they will be alamy exclusives for now, if I get no joy then I will add to other sites in a few month I suppose.

I'm rather hoping my images will be on the searches very soon. Live in Jiaxing which is where the communist party had 1st meeting 100 years ago and they are celebrating in 2 months time, should be huge and there is a rumoured internet block while it's on.   Yesterday I went to Tainducheng which has come up on the wanted list and only 20 minutes away from me.
Limited audience I know but I suppose i'm in a fairly unique area.