Unauthorised use?

FrankHH

Question

Dear Alamy contributors, 

I noticed that one of my pictures was sold a few times over the last month. Via google search I found at least six websites were my picture was used. Like this one: https://www.thesun.ie/travel/6584135/greece-summer-holidays-vaccinated-tourists-coronavirus-test/. (the picture with an older man showing a mobile phone with a covid immunity passport). The Alamy credit is mentioned below the picture.

But I have not a single sale over the last month in my sales history and not a single sale of this picture. 

Is it normal that the Alamy sales history is not updated for weeks?

Thanks for any comments,

Frank

4 answers to this question

Newspapers in the UK scheme self-report so it can take 2-3 months for a sale to appear in your account.

Incidentally, as you seem to have that image on MS as well, presumably you realise you are competing with yourself at a lower price point.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Newspapers in the UK scheme self-report so it can take 2-3 months for a sale to appear in your account.

Incidentally, as you seem to have that image on MS as well, presumably you realise you are competing with yourself at a lower price point.

thanks for your answer. What do you mean by MS? Other Stock agencies? That is true.  

Most likely the Sun will report this sale in due course. The national press do sometimes make mistakes but they are not going to wilfully infringe copyright when they can get what they want for a low price anyway. 

Copyright theft is rife. As you have noticed no sooner than an image appears on a legitimate news site it will be nicked by others.

It depends how you see this. I am beginning to view it, especially in view of the very low fees for newspaper use, as a possibly lucrative sideline to go after infringers. 

But I don't see that you can do this if you have images on MS sites and they have ever sold. You can't have any idea who has them legally and who hasn't.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2
  • Like 1