Mystery in Rio

geogphotos

I0000n6NS5JK.b_M.jpg

This is a Kodachrome II Transparency captioned ' New Community Centre - Rio de Janeiro'. 

This type of slide mount was only produced in 1961-1962. There is one  slide in the large series with '1962' written on it but from another part of Brazil.

The people in the pics look the same as other sets which are dated 1962 ( Trinidad Independence)

The mystery is that this looks to be the Museum of Modern Art 

The Modernist concrete museum building, designed by Affonso Eduardo Reidy (1909-1964), was completed in 1955 🥴

It's certainly stumped me.  

Maybe all these films were only developed in 1962 but are actually older?

Edited by geogphotos

Portuguese Wikipedia has the exhibition block opening in 1963

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museu_de_Arte_Moderna_do_Rio_de_Janeiro#Os_primeiros_anos

and there are references to the its being designed in 1954 . The date is probably somewhere in between, and outside a Brazilian newspaper morgue you may not get any closer. "Construction of........circa.." may have to do. Great pix though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Portuguese Wikipedia has the exhibition block opening in 1963

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museu_de_Arte_Moderna_do_Rio_de_Janeiro#Os_primeiros_anos

and there are references to the its being designed in 1954 . The date is probably somewhere in between, and outside a Brazilian newspaper morgue you may not get any closer. "Construction of........circa.." may have to do. Great pix though.

Thank you! 

I found it now:

"O Bloco de Exposições (prédio principal) foi inaugurado em 1963."

• Thanks 1