Pls can You critique my portfolio

MatejPhoto

Hi

I am newbie here. Have only just about hundread photos uploaded here, but can u look at it and say some critics?

https://www.alamy.com/contrib-browse.asp?cid={370A9F64-B927-46E2-9B95-39AB0404B331}&name=Matej+Zavacky

I heard that Alamy is focused mainly on editorial shoots. So my question. Is it worth uploading commercial oriented photos here?

GL to all 😜

Edited by MatejPhoto

The common saying about what gets licensed on Alamy is someone doing something.  This also works for animal shots.   One type of article that goes to the agencies for photos is a serious hobbiest/gardener/identification book where the things photographed have to show enough of the identifying characteristics of the organism.

What you've done is upload a lot of something that enough others have also uploaded so that Alamy has 596 pages of photos of vegetables in baskets (59,518 photos).  Probably most buyers will not look beyond 100 or 200 photographs.   I would have done one of them portrait orientation and shown the woman's face and basket in front of the slightly out-of-focus farmhouse. 

For the pasta, I think the grain is spelt.  Wikipedia should be informative.   Walnut pesto, not wall nut.  

Keywords on your man holding a phone and looking querulously at the camera include pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis, and pancreas --- not at all evident from the photo.

The photos look good, but some of the framing strikes me as a bit off (most particularly not showing a full human in any of the basket carrying photos.

The thing you want to do is upload a range of things, and keyword them carefully, and make sure your photos in the much covered topics here are not just slight variations on what has been done.   Look at the competition from time to time. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 00:41, MatejPhoto said:

I heard that Alamy is focused mainly on editorial shoots. So my question. Is it worth uploading commercial oriented photos here?

GL to all 😜

Hi Matej,

Welcome. What sort of subjects are your commercially orientated photos of? Difficult to say whether it's worth it without more details.

You have some very nice well edited photos. Just some minor comments on your captions. I know some of this is related to English not being your first language, don't worry, you're doing very well.

Jewish historic graveyard from 17. and 18. century in Slovakia Unesco city of Bardejov. Tombstones on this cemetery are in solid condition. - Image ID: 2DB7Y5D

UNESCO city - you can be more specific. It's a UNESCO world heritage site and it's a town. In this specific case, the old town is a conservation reserve: https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/973/

Solid condition - this doesn't mean anything in English. You could say they're in good condition. But I don't think this is really relevant to the subject and is not a selling point for the photo.

It will be 17th and 18th in British and American English. '17.' is German or perhaps from your country too?

Historic Jewish cemetery was built in Bardejov, Slovakia sometime in early 18th century. Photo captured intentionally in dark and shadow colors. - Image ID: 2DB7YTB

You don't need to mention that a photo effect is deliberate / intentional. You can mention that the photo is black and white, monochrome, or sepia tinted / coloured if you wish.

Female mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) swims in the lake at sunny day - Image ID: 2DAMA9D

There's 21,261 photos of a female mallard on Alamy. There's no location information in your caption or famous landmark in the background. I'm not saying don't take pictures like this, but you need to ask yourself, how will anyone find this photo? You're competing with many other similar images; what makes yours stand out so that someone will buy it?

Traditional food from Slovakia. Salty pancake from potato flour dough. Smeared with melted butter. With green bean pods, cheese and caramelized apples - Image ID: 2DAFWT6

Does the pancake dish (meal) have a specific name, e.g. toad in the hole and shepherds pie are the names of English dishes.

I've had a quick look at your keywords, they look pretty good. Be aware that some words are spelled differently in British English and American English like 'colourful' and colorful'. Also, you need to put in plurals if there are more than one object in your picture, e.g. gravestone, gravestones.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by Steve F

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/11/2020 at 21:31, Steve F said:

Hi Matej,

Welcome. What sort of subjects are your commercially orientated photos of? Difficult to say whether it's worth it without more details.

You have some very nice well edited photos. Just some minor comments on your captions. I know some of this is related to English not being your first language, don't worry, you're doing very well.

Jewish historic graveyard from 17. and 18. century in Slovakia Unesco city of Bardejov. Tombstones on this cemetery are in solid condition. - Image ID: 2DB7Y5D

UNESCO city - you can be more specific. It's a UNESCO world heritage site and it's a town. In this specific case, the old town is a conservation reserve: https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/973/employee monitoring systems

Solid condition - this doesn't mean anything in English. You could say they're in good condition. But I don't think this is really relevant to the subject and is not a selling point for the photo.

It will be 17th and 18th in British and American English. '17.' is German or perhaps from your country too?

Historic Jewish cemetery was built in Bardejov, Slovakia sometime in early 18th century. Photo captured intentionally in dark and shadow colors. - Image ID: 2DB7YTB

You don't need to mention that a photo effect is deliberate / intentional. You can mention that the photo is black and white, monochrome, or sepia tinted / coloured if you wish.

Female mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) swims in the lake at sunny day - Image ID: 2DAMA9D

There's 21,261 photos of a female mallard on Alamy. There's no location information in your caption or famous landmark in the background. I'm not saying don't take pictures like this, but you need to ask yourself, how will anyone find this photo? You're competing with many other similar images; what makes yours stand out so that someone will buy it?

Traditional food from Slovakia. Salty pancake from potato flour dough. Smeared with melted butter. With green bean pods, cheese and caramelized apples - Image ID: 2DAFWT6

Does the pancake dish (meal) have a specific name, e.g. toad in the hole and shepherds pie are the names of English dishes.

I've had a quick look at your keywords, they look pretty good. Be aware that some words are spelled differently in British English and American English like 'colourful' and colorful'. Also, you need to put in plurals if there are more than one object in your picture, e.g. gravestone, gravestones.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thank you for the detailed answer!

• Thanks 1