Topiary ID?

John Mitchell

Question

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Can't tell you the plant but the technique is cloud pruning, a Japanese originated system known as niwaki. 

I'm trying it with a variegated holly.  Results on Alamy in ten years time  Maybe 😀

Had never heard of cloud pruning. Thanks. Those green blobs do look a bit like clouds. I know that the tree is a cypress of some kind, so perhaps I'll just leave it at that. Do you think it would be accurate to refer to it as a "dwarf cypress"?

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Had never heard of cloud pruning. Thanks. Those green blobs do look a bit like clouds. I know that the tree is a cypress of some kind, so perhaps I'll just leave it at that. Do you think it would be accurate to refer to it as a "dwarf cypress"?

'Dwarfed' would be better, John.  The cloud pruning restricts the height of shrub by preventing a single tall leader developing so all the energy goes into the side shoots that can then be cloud clipped.  A bit like bonsai on a larger scale.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

'Dwarfed' would be better, John.  The cloud pruning restricts the height of shrub by preventing a single tall leader developing so all the energy goes into the side shoots that can then be cloud clipped.  A bit like bonsai on a larger scale.

Thanks very much. Live and learn...