Trans Sahara '65 - dirty old Agfachrome

geogphotos

A series of old Agfa slides many really mucky showing a trip by landcover across the Sahara from north Africa to Central African Republic in 1965.

https://geographyphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Tim-and-Carole-Brown-trans-Sahara/G0000h99qFiri4Zc/C0000M.PH.sdzN2M

Don't think I have enough years left to clean these up! 

What do you reckon?

22 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

A series of old Agfa slides many really mucky showing a trip by landcover across the Sahara from north Africa to Central African Republic in 1965.

https://geographyphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Tim-and-Carole-Brown-trans-Sahara/G0000h99qFiri4Zc/C0000M.PH.sdzN2M

Don't think I have enough years left to clean these up! 

What do you reckon?

A lot of that soft-edged stuff is fungus, unfortunately. It can also look like plant roots or lightning. My 70s Agfachromes are fine but some of my Super-8 film (same emulsion AFAIK) has it. Unlike on lenses it's not removeable. But on archive it may not matter too much, depending on the competition. I mention it just so you don't waste time trying to "clean" it off.

Fungus aside I think they're pretty interesting and worth the effort.

As an example- no. 20- I think most of the stuff in the sky is fungus. No. 24, the underexposed one- that's fungus rampant.

I would probably anti-static brush and rocket blow the best and rescan and do the spotting in LR or whatever.

Edited by spacecadet

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

A lot of that soft-edged stuff is fungus, unfortunately. It can also look like plant roots or lightning. My 70s Agfachromes are fine but some of my Super-8 film (same emulsion AFAIK) has it. Unlike on lenses it's not removeable. But on archive it may not matter too much, depending on the competition. I mention it just so you don't waste time trying to "clean" it off.

Fungus aside I think they're pretty interesting and worth the effort.

As an example- no. 20- I think most of the stuff in the sky is fungus. No. 24, the underexposed one- that's fungus rampant.

I would probably anti-static brush and rocket blow the best and rescan and do the spotting in LR or whatever.

You mentioned film.

Is this beauty any use or worth anything?

I0000U3ONuC11gTI.jpg

Working, something but not much. It's serviceable but not a top brand, so probably hardly worth the effort packing-up to sell it on ebay. More in Europe apparently- they always were keener on Super-8

https://www.filmwebshop.nl/a-59626374/filmprojectoren/nr-7092-prachtige-raynox-sound-1010-projector-voor-super-8-film-halogeenlamp-100w-240-meter-spoelen-electronisch-aangestuurde-motor-een-zeer-degelijke-en-zware-projector-heeft-onderhoudsbeurt-gehad-en-werkt-goed/#description

I would hang on to it in case you ever come across any Super-8.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Working, something but not much. It's serviceable but not a top brand, so probably hardly worth the effort packing-up to sell it on ebay. More in Europe apparently- they always were keener on Super-8

https://www.filmwebshop.nl/a-59626374/filmprojectoren/nr-7092-prachtige-raynox-sound-1010-projector-voor-super-8-film-halogeenlamp-100w-240-meter-spoelen-electronisch-aangestuurde-motor-een-zeer-degelijke-en-zware-projector-heeft-onderhoudsbeurt-gehad-en-werkt-goed/#description

I would hang on to it in case you ever come across any Super-8.

Okay thanks. I've bunged it on Ebay.