Self-publishing a book of photos.

Jansos

Question

Hi all, If I use a website such as Blurb,  or similar, to self-publish a book of photos which contain pictures of people and property, taken on public land, do I need to have 'permissions' for people/ property? I'm assuming that I do if I decide to sell the book. Is that correct?  What if I were to sell the book and donate all profits to charity? Any ideas? Thanks 🙂

Edited by Jansos
typo

2 answers to this question

Probably not, no law says you need it- books with what amounts to editorial content are published all the time. I don't know what difference a charity would make- it's still profit making so in extremis a court could still order you to pay them over, as in a copyright infringement. But that assumes there's something to sue you for. I can't see what if you don't defame or pass-off.

But as we always say, it's down to the publisher, and that's you! Perhaps you can research the market.

BTW even in the US (well, CA) a property doesn't have image rights:

https://propertyintangible.com/2010/08/houses-right-of-publicity/

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 18:04, spacecadet said:

Probably not, no law says you need it- books with what amounts to editorial content are published all the time. I don't know what difference a charity would make- it's still profit making so in extremis a court could still order you to pay them over, as in a copyright infringement. But that assumes there's something to sue you for. I can't see what if you don't defame or pass-off.

But as we always say, it's down to the publisher, and that's you! Perhaps you can research the market.

BTW even in the US (well, CA) a property doesn't have image rights:

https://propertyintangible.com/2010/08/houses-right-of-publicity/

Thanks 🙂