Editorial use check box....when to tick it?

Kamira

Question

Hi

I'm slowly migrating my portfolio from SS to Alamy. All my images in Alamy are also in SS so according to the Alalmy policy I have to submit those images as RF. Many of those images are editorial in SS because there are people in them and usually I dont have the releases.

In Alamy...if you were in my case would you tick the "editorial use only check box". I'm already stating I dont have the releases for those people. That's why it seems redundant and I'm afraid it might limit my sales.

Also...would you tick the box if there were unrecognizable (very distant and small) people in the image?

Thanks

Karel

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

See this thread

Mark

Thanks. I had seen that thread but it still wasn't clear to me wether I should check the Editorial Only box or not.

All my images at Alamy must be RF because they are also at Shutterstock and I'm explicitly stating I don't have the releases. That's why it seems redundant to check the Editorial Only box and I'm afraid it could unnecessarily limit my sales. 

I mean...if you don't have the releases then it's obviously an editorial image even if it's sold as RM and even more so if it's sold as RF. Why do we need that check box?

Hi,

I believe one of the replies says not to bother checking it all. Either Alamy will notify the buyer or the buyer will see there are no releases and will purchase an editorial only license.

I would not check the button either for distant or close people - just indicate you have no releases.

What I've come to believe, and that is only my opinion, is that the Editorial only button is there if you really insist for an image to be used for editorial purposes and not for merchandise, advertising, products, etc. A few photos where my sons are in them I've specifically checked the Editorial button.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexG said:

Hi,

I believe one of the replies says not to bother checking it all. Either Alamy will notify the buyer or the buyer will see there are no releases and will purchase an editorial only license.

I would not check the button either for distant or close people - just indicate you have no releases.

What I've come to believe, and that is only my opinion, is that the Editorial only button is there if you really insist for an image to be used for editorial purposes and not for merchandise, advertising, products, etc. A few photos where my sons are in them I've specifically checked the Editorial button.

I hope that helps.

That's reasonable. Thanks.