Azaleas or rhodos?

John Mitchell

Question

5 answers to this question

Technically they are all rhododendrons.  As a a very broad rule of thumb - with lots of exceptions to the rule - if the larger flowered forms are evergreen they're called Rhododendrons, if deciduous, Azaleas.  Needless to say it's more complicated than that but I would think your's are Rhododendrons rather than Azaleas.

4 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Technically they are all rhododendrons.  As a a very broad rule of thumb - with lots of exceptions to the rule - if the larger flowered forms are evergreen they're called Rhododendrons, if deciduous, Azaleas.  Needless to say it's more complicated than that but I would think your's are Rhododendrons rather than Azaleas.

Thanks again, John. I first called them azaleas and then changed my mind and labelled them rhododendrons, so I guess I was sort of on the right track

P.S. I'm not not sure what you mean by "larger flowered forms".

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not not sure what you mean by "larger flowered forms".

There are a lot of small flowered (and often small leaved) Rhododendrons - the various evergreen Azalea types, Rhododendron augustinii and hybrids, Rh.impeditum etc, etc.  These are mostly plants from more open, sunny areas rather than the larger flowered evergreen and decoduous species and varieties which tend to be woodland species.  It's a big family of plants and very diverse.

7 hours ago, John Richmond said:

There are a lot of small flowered (and often small leaved) Rhododendrons - the various evergreen Azalea types, Rhododendron augustinii and hybrids, Rh.impeditum etc, etc.  These are mostly plants from more open, sunny areas rather than the larger flowered evergreen and decoduous species and varieties which tend to be woodland species.  It's a big family of plants and very diverse.

Big family for sure. They are everywhere around my neighbourhood in Vancouver. I think that I need to start resisting the urge to photograph them...

Many thanks. "I'll be back." to quote Arnold.

Edited by John Mitchell