One for the ornithologists ...

Russell

Question

5 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Russell said:

I have this chap down as a Sedge Warbler. Am I correct?

Sedge Warbler singing, perched on a branch of a willow tree, beak open. - Stock Image

Many thanks for your feedback,

Russell

Not entirely certain and I'm no expert, but it looks to me like it could be a marsh warbler.

• Like 1

Thanks for looking and commenting Dave, but I'd be surprised if it were. According to the RSPB they're virtually extinct in the UK now, with summer migrants appearing on the east coast, particularly Kent, in late May. This one was "shot" in Hampshire. Also it has dark legs, the Marsh Warbler's are pale.

11 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

There's a reason why most warblers are best identified by song! It could be a sedge (not marsh) warbler, but I couldn't be sure...

So true!😊

20 hours ago, Russell said:

Thanks for looking and commenting Dave, but I'd be surprised if it were. According to the RSPB they're virtually extinct in the UK now, with summer migrants appearing on the east coast, particularly Kent, in late May. This one was "shot" in Hampshire. Also it has dark legs, the Marsh Warbler's are pale.

Thanks, that proves it; I'm definitely no expert.:( but...………….sedge warblers have a distinct pale band above the eye which isn't entirely clear from your picture. Not sure about their geographical territory but might it be a reed warbler? I'll shut up now before I dig too big a hole for myself!

Edited by Dave Richards