Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Gaffen

Portfolio Milestone reached during lockdown. Risking a Lockdown photoshoot

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

On Saturday, when the Alamy data-base updated, my portfolio image total reached and surpassed 10,000 images. A moment of muted celebration, given the hundreds and thousands of hours needed to achieve  this milestone. But, this achievement feels a bit hollow at present, because, like many other businesses,  the lock down has effected the stock photography business dramatically and not for the better, since sales, zooms and views have taken a nose dive!  Of course,  there is  now a considerable demand for lockdown-related images, so  I've  taken the decision, like a few others here on Alamy to start documenting the effects of the lockdown, starting with the borough where I live, in Lewisham. At least I can feel slightly safer in an area I know well, rather than wandering around up in the centre of London,  which has already been extensively photographed during lockdown anyway.  

Edited by John Gaffen
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Gaffen said:

On Saturday, when the Alamy data-base updated, my portfolio image total reached and surpassed 10,000 images. A moment of muted celebration, given the hundreds and thousands of hours needed to achieve  this milestone. But, this achievement feels a bit hollow at present, because, like many other businesses,  the lock down has effected the stock photography business dramatically and not for the better, since sales, zooms and views have taken a nose dive!  Of course,  there is  now a considerable demand for lockdown-related images, so  I've  taken the decision, like a few others here on Alamy to start documenting the effects of the  lockdown, starting with the borough where I live, in Lewisham. At least I can feel slightly safer in an area I know well, rather than wandering around up in the centre of London, an area which has already been extensively photographed during lockdown anyway.

 

Congratulations John! That is a great effort and major milestone to meet. Documenting the lockdown in your area sounds like a good thing to do at this point in time. Some of those images may well be historically significant in the future and used to document how things were, and also potentially relevant to news outlets in the present telling lockdown stories. All the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sally!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2020 at 10:00, Sally R said:

 

Congratulations John! That is a great effort and major milestone to meet. Documenting the lockdown in your area sounds like a good thing to do at this point in time. Some of those images may well be historically significant in the future and used to document how things were, and also potentially relevant to news outlets in the present telling lockdown stories. All the best!


It will be interesting to see what happens to lockdown imagery when this is all over.  Most “news stories” have a limited good  sales window followed by a long tail of limited sales.  This is quite different to stock methinks which I perceive to have a a fairly straight line sales usage.

 

The virus imagery portfolio is now well saturated- the next news trend, I think, will be “the new normal, step by step”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to lockdown imagery when this is all over.  Most “news stories” have a limited good  sales window followed by a long tail of limited sales.  This is quite different to stock methinks which I perceive to have a a fairly straight line sales usage.

 

The virus imagery portfolio is now well saturated- the next news trend, I think, will be “the new normal, step by step”

 

Yes good point Ian. The lockdown imagery may run its course soon as far as news goes, but might hold value as stock into the future. I think you are right that the 'new normal' will emerge as a theme. Here in Western Australia life is returning to a sort-of normal with shops re-opening, some intra-state border restrictions being removed, and gatherings of 20 being permitted from tomorrow, though of course that could all change if cases start getting reported again. I think the coronavirus situation is going to be long-term in many ways and photographers have an opportunity to keep telling that story as it evolves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.