The other day I was watching a PS video tutorial and suddenly noticed that when an adjustment layer (curve, level, or solid fill, etc) is added, also a white mask is added to the layer automatically.

So I checked my PS (CS6) but it wasn’t the case.  To double check, I looked at my PS CS6 reference book (Martin Evening), the illustrations also showed white masks with adjustment layers.

I must have turned something off inadvertently.  I looked through menus and preferences etc and searched it on the internet to correct it but no success.

Could anyone please tell me how I can have it back?  I use masks a lot so this automatic addition of layer masks will be a time saver in the long run.

Sung

Edited by SFL
adding more details

I have never seen this and I don't know how it is possible to get an adjustment layer without a layer mask. However, as you probably know, it is a trivial matter to add a layer mask to any layer by clicking a button at the bottom of the layers panel or using a keyboard shortcut so it is not a killer deal really although it is intriguing how it has happened. Have you tried reverting your workspace to default and seeing if that works.  I guess you could reset Photoshop prefs as a last resort. If nobody gives you an answer here then I would suggest asking on the Adobe forums. The proper term is a layer mask and it can be white or black when added to reveal or hide the adjustment. 

Thanks MDM.  Yes, it is simple to add a 'layer mask' (I only called it 'white' layer as opposed to 'black' layer) but I was scratching my head why it is happening.  I use 'short cuts' quite a lot so I was wondering if I did something without knowing it.  It really baffles me.  Yesterday, I tried with default workspace but it didn't work.

As you say it is not a big deal, but it is irritating. 🙁  Perhaps I just forget it and continue working.

I understand why you are trying to figure it out. It would bug me too if it happened to me 😀. Please post back when you do. I recommend asking on the Adobe forums as somebody will know what is happening. Sorry I can't help.

Edited by MDM

Great and interesting to know. I never use the adjustments panel as I do everything related to adjustments from custom shortcuts or the layers panel and had forgotten the adjustments panel even existed.