Capture NX2 Noise Reduction

Confess I've never been comfortable using NR software features for Alamy. Basically, I'm aware that too much NR can cause a loss of detail but I find it very hard to see any degradation in the final image. Regardless, I'm trying to reduce severe 'blue sky noise' on a NEF image with Capture NX2. So far, the 'Better Quality 2012' option with Intensity set to 50% has removed the excessive noise. Would any users of NX2 consider this to be too much NR? Also, should I be applying any NR 'Sharpness' to compensate or should I leave it at zero? Grateful for any advice.

Regards

John

Confess I've never been comfortable using NR software features for Alamy. Basically, I'm aware that too much NR can cause a loss of detail but I find it very hard to see any degradation in the final image. Regardless, I'm trying to reduce severe 'blue sky noise' on a NEF image with Capture NX2. So far, the 'Better Quality 2012' option with Intensity set to 50% has removed the excessive noise. Would any users of NX2 consider this to be too much NR? Also, should I be applying any NR 'Sharpness' to compensate or should I leave it at zero? Grateful for any advice.

Regards

John

'Better Quality 2012' option with Intensity set to 50% 

That's as far as I have gone using that tool in Capture NX2, it does depend what ISO setting you are using and how far you are pushing the capabilities of the sensor.

Regards

Craig

I would think a level of 50 % would seriously degrade detail in the rest of the image. I'm wary going over 10% and very rarely need to.

In the latest version better quality 2012 only appears in the camera settings dialogue and I always use NR as a new adjustment step (set at better quality) so there may be a difference in our results... I leave "preserve detail" or whatever its called at the default of 5.

If the image has that much noise only in the sky then there's a trick for reducing noise in the red (?) channel only but I don't think that's possible with CNX2. What I think is possible in CNX2 is to apply NR selectively to an area of the image so that might be worth a go. No worries about losing detail in the sky I guess...

Cheers, Keith

Many thanks for the feedback so far guys. I had inadvertently left the ISO at 200 after some close-in shots but am still surprised how noisy the sky was - hopefully I won't get the same results with my relatively new X-E1. Will investigate the red channel technique (recall it mentioned in another recent thread) in my other software (eg. DXO Optics Pro) and applying NR selectively in NX2.

Cheers

John

Archived