I'm thinking of ordering Luminar 4, has anyone seen the demo for the Luminar 4 upgrade and planning to purchase one. Also how does it compare to Lightroom . Thanks in advance.

Edited by domf

1 hour ago, domf said:

I'm thinking of ordering Luminar 4, has anyone seen the demo for the Luminar 4 upgrade and planning to purchase one. Also how does it compare to Lightroom . Thanks in advance.

I've not tried Luminar 4 (not out yet?), but I have tried Luminar 3.

In general I liked it, with most controls being fast and responsive, but there were a few "show stoppers" for me.

Clone and heal tools were too slow on my MacBook Pro 2012.

No manual CA removal (auto gets rid of most, but not all)

No manual defringe (auto gets rid of most but not all)

Eyedropper WB sometimes gave me slightly strange results

Image rotate tool too laggy/jumpy to level horizons (might be fine on a faster PC)

Unable to get converted RAWs to have same level of fine detail as LR/PS/ACR

Suggest downloading a trial before committing funds. I'll try it too when it comes out.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at the sky replacement feature in the forthcoming AI driven Luminar 4 and wondered how Alamy quality control would view these conversions. I presume that if the image still looked realistic then, all else being within their quality control parameters, the image would pass. It seems that one can make a realistic conversion from a grey sky to sunny without going 'overboard'. Looking at some of the images others have uploaded here, quite 'colourful' images seem to be acceptable.

Just purchased license to Luminar 4 at £64.00. Planning to use it as a 'plug-in' to Photoshop Cloud to 'improve'  on cloudy images or adding more interesting skies without going over the top. Not coming out until November. I would not use it as a stand alone application. Too used to PS now.