For the web, use Google image search.  Or for ease of use, use any of these Javascript solutions which do that for you:

Tin Eye (not as good, IMHO) also offer a Firefox pugin or a JS 'bookmarklet' (similar in function to src-img, above).

Otherwise, keep an eye out on the monthly 'Have you found...' threads on this forum, (this month's here) or start looking anywhere that the licence terms suggest that it may have been sold, (the local library/bookshop is your friend!)

Good luck!

I had never tried Google Books so I did it. The first result was correct -- one I already knew about. There were two pages of results that didn't look promising. I tried searching within a couple of them and I wasn't there. Is this typical of the results there?

Paulette

So far I have had exactly the same result as you, Paulette: three images of mine (in one book) which I licensed independently a few years back.  Maybe others with more licensing under their belts can offer more insight here?  Nice to know that it's there for reference, though.

Try searching google books for your pseudonym/alamy, that's a good way of collecting ISBN for a DACS claim

Hey - had forgotten about that - good tip, have a greenie!

Thanks for the greenie!

Normally most of the results on Google books are relevant, I get a few spurious ones one the last page. Try searching for the book on amazon, or in a normal google web search. Quite often you can read the first and last few pages, which often include the picture credits

Archived