Understanding When To Get Property Releases

Shepard

Question

Hello;

My name is Keith and I only recently joined Alamy. I'm having a bit of a problem fully understanding property releases as they pertain to "cityscapes" or panoramas of cities and, more specific to my question, smaller towns/villages.

I shot this panorama of Sisimiut, Greenland: https://ibb.co/GxSLZtw In the photo, none of the buildings are the focal point of the image and therefore, in my mind, the photo could still be sold commercially. However, Sisimiut isn't that large and the houses/buildings that are visible, would most likely be recognizable to those that own them.

I haven't uploaded the image yet as I was seeking other opinions or clarification from people with more experience on the matter of property releases. I have read and re-read the guidelines on when to get a property release, but I didn't know how that applied to cityscapes or in this case, town-scapes (if that's even a word). Any thoughts or help with this would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

Keith Shepard

5 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Shepard said:

Hello;

My name is Keith and I only recently joined Alamy. I'm having a bit of a problem fully understanding property releases as they pertain to "cityscapes" or panoramas of cities and, more specific to my question, smaller towns/villages.

I shot this panorama of Sisimiut, Greenland: https://ibb.co/GxSLZtw In the photo, none of the buildings are the focal point of the image and therefore, in my mind, the photo could still be sold commercially. However, Sisimiut isn't that large and the houses/buildings that are visible, would most likely be recognizable to those that own them.

I haven't uploaded the image yet as I was seeking other opinions or clarification from people with more experience on the matter of property releases. I have read and re-read the guidelines on when to get a property release, but I didn't know how that applied to cityscapes or in this case, town-scapes (if that's even a word). Any thoughts or help with this would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

Keith Shepard

There is property in the image. Microstock often doesn't care as long as there are no names or brands. But Alamy does care.

I know what I would do: sell as RM and in the optional part tick number of people (even tiny people and parts of people count) - but I guess there is none here - if so, choose 0, and  you are not asked for releases. Then tick yes to contains property - and tick that you don't have releases. Then it will be up to the buyer to determine whether the image can be used for the purpose in question. If sensitive in any way, I would also tick Editorial only, but not in this case.

Or choose RF editorial (and even then I would tick the same tick boxes as above) - I know not all does this - but this is considered the old-fashioned safe way for a photographer - and somewhat different from what microstock photographers are used to.

I am definitely an RM photographer, that simplifies things.

Niels

Definitely do not need property release in the example you provided, I only tick that there is property if a logo is visible or the photo is of an individual building or there is only a few buildings and they are the focus of the photo.

8 hours ago, domf said:

Definitely do not need property release in the example you provided, I only tick that there is property if a logo is visible or the photo is of an individual building or there is only a few buildings and they are the focus of the photo.

Thank you @domf. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

14 hours ago, domf said:

The question in current Alamy image manager (AIM) "Is there any property in the image" so the answer is simple and is yes. Just tick Yes and then tick No release.

The old version of AIM used to ask "Is there property in this image that requires a release", that was more complex and was often interpreted as you have said, but that ambiguity has now been removed with the current AIM.

Mark

Archived