Should i worry about getting in likely irrelevant search results, for proper tagging?

meanderingemu

Question

I have started following my stats, and looking at what hits on "Your Views"  i received.  I tend to include city and country in most of my pictures, but noticed that my biggest hits were searches just on a city name and a country name, and since i have tendency more for details capture, i doubt that the sample Karoo architecture picture is what someone doing a search "South Africa"  is looking for.  

so should i avoid generality keywords which seem to hit my ratio?  

i also had tangential keywords that i am starting to remove (way too many "Former Yugoslavia" in anything built pre 1990, pretty sure that's not what a Yugoslavia search is looking for, kept it on brutalist architecture for now) 

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

I have started following my stats, and looking at what hits on "Your Views"  i received.  I tend to include city and country in most of my pictures, but noticed that my biggest hits were searches just on a city name and a country name, and since i have tendency more for details capture, i doubt that the sample Karoo architecture picture is what someone doing a search "South Africa"  is looking for.  

so should i avoid generality keywords which seem to hit my ratio?  

i also had tangential keywords that i am starting to remove (way too many "Former Yugoslavia" in anything built pre 1990, pretty sure that's not what a Yugoslavia search is looking for, kept it on brutalist architecture for now) 

You shouldn't, of course, include keywords that are not relevant to your image.

You will also be able to remove some strength from the common keywords by including them in a string with the relevant word. F.inst." juvenile elephant" (without the quotation marks) in the same box.

Don't worry too much. In my opinion it is better to get the extra sale and include the keywords buyers use in the searches. Check Alamy Measures AoA.

Personally I wouldn't remove "former yugoslavia" from the keywords unless very obvious  to do so - as buyers may use this search term. But use the correct term in the caption. In the optional "tell more about the image" - you could explain further.

Niels

4 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

You shouldn't, of course, include keywords that are not relevant to your image.

You will also be able to remove some strength from the common keywords by including them in a string with the relevant word. F.inst." juvenile elephant" (without the quotation marks) in the same box.

Don't worry too much. In my opinion it is better to get the extra sale and include the keywords buyers use in the searches. Check Alamy Measures AoA.

Personally I wouldn't remove "former yugoslavia" from the keywords unless very obvious  to do so - as buyers may use this search term. But use the correct term in the caption. In the optional "tell more about the image" - you could explain further.

Niels

thanks i guess i was worried by these results that made my ratio lower just because of really wide searches. it really hurt my Measures since the denominator was boosted 15% by these generic search.  so then i started doubting the approach.   but i have to presume someone outside looking for architecture in Karoo shot, would possible use "South Africa" in search, so better have it.

on the example of "former yugoslavia" i ended up removing it an picture that had nothing to do with the communist period.  i don't think anyone looking for the Dragon bridge in Ljubljana is going to use it in a search.  the War memorial in Skopje, possibly....

on descriptions i am generally specific about the story of the picture, but i probably have to get better to include additional detail like what is the " local woman making savoury turkish pancake (Gozleme ) at food fair in Antalya"  wearing 🙂

thanks for the input.  i was afraid i was going too wide with the general keywords.

Archived