If I provide the owner of a dog with low-res watermarked images, can I sell as 'exclusive'?

My method of working is that I find beautiful animals and I work free of charge for the owner provided I'm given the rights to sell the images. Sometimes to sweeten the deal, I let them use some of the images for publicity and sales- but my contract describes it as 'personal uses'. Implying no commercial uses.  The images they get are 1200px, with a watermark. so they do not impact alamy sales.

With such a contract, can I sell on Alamy with the 'exclusive images'?

Thanks! I'm new here! 

I am pretty sure that would not be permissible as the owners are using them for publicity and sales which is clearly a commercial use even if your contract says personal use only which contradicts what you are saying anyway. So what happens when somebody licenses an exclusive image and finds one of your clients using it already? That is not what I would consider exclusive.

There was somebody on here a few years ago asking about opinions when one of those companies that look out for illicit usage of images on the internet was threatening to sue him for using his own images on his own website - he had the same images as exclusive on another agency. I don't know the outcome.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I am pretty sure that would not be permissible as the owners are using them for publicity and sales which is clearly a commercial use even if your contract says personal use only which contradicts what you are saying anyway. So what happens when somebody licenses an exclusive image and finds one of your clients using it already? That is not what I would consider exclusive.

There was somebody on here a few years ago asking about opinions when one of those companies that look out for illicit usage of images on the internet was threatening to sue him for using his own images on his own website - he had the same images as exclusive on another agency. I don't know the outcome.

I do see your point and that's a pity. But at the very least I am happy that can sell these images non-exclusively at least. Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

You would have to check with contributor services to be sure, but I think so.

Jill

Thank you for your input :)

Archived