Please explain the license

Hi I need some explanation from the more knowledeable members of this forum. Today i got two sales reported, of the same image, which was uploaded on 22 August as live news.

One generated a respectable fee and the license details are as follows:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: Spot size
Start: 24 August 2018
End: 25 August 2018
One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Any placement in print and online

My question for this one is how do i know if it got sold as live news or as stock image? The usage is for 2 days after the upload, but when was it purchased?

The other sale is more puzzling.

It is tge same image, but the fee is just over 10% of the one above. Details here:

Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 August 2018
End: 02 August 2018
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

1) any reason why the fee is so small for a placement larger than the image above?

2) the usage date is BEFORE the image was even uploaded?!

Thank you

1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

Hi I need some explanation from the more knowledeable members of this forum. Today i got two sales reported, of the same image, which was uploaded on 22 August as live news.

One generated a respectable fee and the license details are as follows:

Image Size: Spot size
Start: 24 August 2018
End: 25 August 2018
One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Any placement in print and online

My question for this one is how do i know if it got sold as live news or as stock image? The usage is for 2 days after the upload, but when was it purchased?

The other sale is more puzzling.

It is tge same image, but the fee is just over 10% of the one above. Details here:

Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 August 2018
End: 02 August 2018
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

1) any reason why the fee is so small for a placement larger than the image above?

2) the usage date is BEFORE the image was even uploaded?!

Thank you

I’m no expert but it seems the only way to match reported sales to known uses is to guess by the amount paid and the date. The first one likely to be a live news use given the date within 2 days of upload and the higher fee. The second one will simply be a repeat use at normal stock values. They don’t usually give the actual date of use for these sales and just put it as the first of the month. 

Eg a live news use for The Sun is around $49-52 but the stock use is about $9-10. 

Archived