Logitech trackerball problem

I've an old faithful cabled Logitech trackerball, which has started to give problems using PS.

Once upon a time I could use the lasso tool to select an area by holding down the left key and using the ball to pick the required zone, but, of late, it has started to lose continuity during selection and it jumps to a smaller area. There is  a similar problem with the Crop Tool, I begin to select an area when suddenly I lose control and a smaller area, or angled rectangle is selected. 

My Logitech driver software is up to date.  Not noticed any problems with other software, but then I don't select areas with other software!

Suspect may be dirty or damaged contacts on the left button - although it does everything else OK - but would welcome any useful suggestions.

Edit - text selection works fine. I can use the left button and ball to pick any part of this message!

Further edit - swapped with another, far less convenient, Logitech trackball, and it appears to work. Need to order another trackman methinks.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've an old faithful cabled Logitech trackerball, which has started to give problems using PS.

Once upon a time I could use the lasso tool to select an area by holding down the left key and using the ball to pick the required zone, but, of late, it has started to lose continuity during selection and it jumps to a smaller area. There is  a similar problem with the Crop Tool, I begin to select an area when suddenly I lose control and a smaller area, or angled rectangle is selected. 

My Logitech driver software is up to date.  Not noticed any problems with other software, but then I don't select areas with other software!

Suspect may be dirty or damaged contacts on the left button - although it does everything else OK - but would welcome any useful suggestions.

Edit - text selection works fine. I can use the left button and ball to pick any part of this message!

Further edit - swapped with another, far less convenient, Logitech trackball, and it appears to work. Need to order another trackman methinks.

Just some cleaning will probably work. There's quite a bit of youtube videos how to go about it.

wim

Thanks Simon, I'll take a look. 

It appears that Logitech no longer makes the wired Trackman with thumb control of the ball. To me the advantage of a trackerball over the mouse is that you don't need to move it around the restricted space on your desk, so the advantage of a wireless unit is minimised, while they have the disadvantage of replaceable batteries. Such is progress!

Archived