improving discoverablility

Hi everyone, 

over a several months I have uploaded almost 500 images. I thought I had carefully tagged, keyworded and filled in all the information required by Alamy to list my images. But after a few months away from the site I see a lot of my images have still a way to go for 'discoverability' but when I revisit my dashboard I can't find what is missing, there does not appear any notes or suggestions on how to improve my listings. And no matter how far I search 'my dashboard' I can't find anything to read up on.

Has anyone got any suggestions or had the same experiences please?

21 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Ignore discoverability it's a waste of time. If you search the forum you'll find lots of discussion about it.

I agree. If you are happy with your captions and keywording, stop there.

I made the mistake when the new system was put in place of trying to get images 'optimised' - it means adding dozens of tags just for the sake of it.

I soon stopped doing that, it's counter-productive.

The whole Alamy ranking system works on how many of your discovered images get zoomed. If they get 'discovered' by people who don't want to see them - because they have lots of irrelevant tags - they won't get zoomed and your ranking will suffer.

If the 'discoverabilty' was based on how many of the available fields you had completed, it would be a good thing. As it is, based on how much stuff you have crammed into those fields, it's worthless.

19 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I agree. If you are happy with your captions and keywording, stop there.

I made the mistake when the new system was put in place of trying to get images 'optimised' - it means adding dozens of tags just for the sake of it.

I soon stopped doing that, it's counter-productive.

The whole Alamy ranking system works on how many of your discovered images get zoomed. If they get 'discovered' by people who don't want to see them - because they have lots of irrelevant tags - they won't get zoomed and your ranking will suffer.

If the 'discoverabilty' was based on how many of the available fields you had completed, it would be a good thing. As it is, based on how much stuff you have crammed into those fields, it's worthless.

I agree that trying to increase 'discoverability' is a waste of time.

I think Alamy ranking is a mixture of things. Zooms certainly help but i'm sure sales count too.

As well as cramming more tags the number of fields also helps to get you into the green eg location, number of people.

John.

Right!

now my initial thoughts that this 'discoverability' gig is 'a red herring' I can now move on and upload a few more images tonight. I did think it was a bit odd since I filled all the required boxes at the outset.

thanks everyone, really appreciate the feed back.

Archived