gvallee

Images Sold in July (one per day per contributor)

34 minutes ago, Webby said:

Thought this was too common to ever sell, on the way home from Madrid in May for a decent $$.

A Ryanair aircraft flying to its destination? That's rarer than it should be of late!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 27/07/2018 at 09:08, AlbertSnapper said:

I did a random image search about a month or so ago, and found the image being used in a newspaper website article, dated July 2015. It hadn't been reported as a sale before, so I contacted Alamy who have now invoiced their customer (the newspaper), so only now appears in my account.

It often happens, publishers who self report have gaps in their reporting. So unless you find it yourself.....no sale.

That's really annoying that we have to search for it ourselves to report unclaimed sales.

What if you have thousands of images, how do you choose which ones to search for?!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ambrosiniv said:

That's really annoying that we have to search for it ourselves to report unclaimed sales.

What if you have thousands of images, how do you choose which ones to search for?!

I just check my zooms of the previous month. Just drag them into Google Image one by one or use one of the browser plug-ins or add-ons for that.

You have to remember that some clients can take more than a year to report. Those are no small clients with no small fees either, so there's quite an incentive not to upset them too much.

A good example would be calendar sales: if the calendar is proposed, but hasn't been ordered in enough quantities, it may get scrapped and none is printed. When it's printed and sold, the editor will pay the image agency, which will pay you. Delays of 18 months have been reported here. Nevertheless people have usually been pretty pleased with the fees. ;-)

Text books are another field with really long production times. While prices have fallen drastically and some huge clients gone over to the dark side you would again still be pleased with those fees.

The images I do tend to find are newspaper sales and blogs. Even these tend to operate on a 3 month cycle and are of course not even worth the trouble of looking up.

When Google in 2 cases started finding hundreds and even thousands of unreported uses including some by large companies I decided to file a huge pile of  unreported use reports. While it feels good, the returns are so slight that it's a good question if in this way this is at all profitable for the team (and for Alamy).

Unless of course it's working well as a marketing tool - not impossible, and I could certainly see that working. Provided the marketing dept or just PR gets involved here.

wim

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2018 at 20:01, wiskerke said:

I just check my zooms of the previous month. Just drag them into Google Image one by one or use one of the browser plug-ins or add-ons for that.

Could you possibly explain how you do that – the part about dragging images into Google Image?

4 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

Could you possibly explain how you do that – the part about dragging images into Google Image?

You don't have drag and drop?

I'm on a PC with Firefox. Using a pen I just drag* the image to the tab with an open Google Images; that then opens and I drop the image into the search box. It's a bit of a hassle because before I would use this, which sadly doesn't work anymore.

At the end of the month I would use that on a lightbox filled with zooms from the previous month.

Most browsers have extensions; add-ons or plug-ins to do more or less the same. In Firefox I have this one, but it does not give the results I'm looking for in one go. Hence the rather primitive drag and drop.

*with a mouse you have to hold the left button.

wim

Thanks.

I'm familiar with drag and drop, but not with Google Images/reverse search. The Firefox plugin seems useful.