Decentered lenses

On 12/05/2018 at 18:49, John Mitchell said:

Just by way of an update, the replacement 16-50 lens seems fine -- no obvious decentering or other issues. There is none of the blurriness that I saw with the original lens when focused at infinity. So sometimes it pays to take things back. As mentioned, I'm liking this little lens so far. Sony seems to have done a good job of packing a lot into a very compact package. It's also much easier to use than I thought it would be.

Good to hear you got it sorted John!

Any chance of some comparisons with 18-55?

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good to hear you got it sorted John!

Any chance of some comparisons with 18-55?

Well, maybe, I'm a lousy lens-tester. My guess is that the two lenses are similar performance-wise, although the 18-55 is a more conventional lens that exhibits less distortion than the "pancake" 16-50. Frankly, I'm surprised at how sharp the 16-50 is after some of the not-so-complimentary reviews that I've read. Most of the images I've taken with the 16-50 so far show no need of downsizing. I think a lot of this has to do with the a6000's sensor, which I find to be a big improvement over the NEX-6's. Images from the a6000 look really crisp at 100% with virtually zero noise. The a6000's AF (which I know you don't use much) appears to be more accurate as well.

Archived