Anyone used Reikan FoCal (lens focus calibration)?

7 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Anyone used Reikan FoCal for lens focus calibration?  I got chatting to a fellow photographer today and he reckons it's the best thing since sliced bread, as well as being the bee's knees and the dog's whatsits...

https://www.reikanfocal.com/

I wouldn't go that far. I have an older version & it does what it says on the tin, but the manual version is a bit tedious and you need good light!

I’ve very recently purchased the pro version. Enjoying the technical side of stuff I thought the extra cost was worth it and I do recommend the program. 

It certainly takes the guess work out of balancing a ruler at an angle and adjusting until your happy but it is still quite a process.

I’m also a bit confused what to do with my either end of focal lengths of zooms being different setting. 

8 hours ago, Russell said:

I wouldn't go that far. I have an older version & it does what it says on the tin, but the manual version is a bit tedious and you need good light!

Well, he didn't actually use those terms - a bit of an exaggeration on my part...:)

40 minutes ago, 79Photography said:

I’ve very recently purchased the pro version. Enjoying the technical side of stuff I thought the extra cost was worth it and I do recommend the program. 

It certainly takes the guess work out of balancing a ruler at an angle and adjusting until your happy but it is still quite a process.

I’m also a bit confused what to do with my either end of focal lengths of zooms being different setting. 

They address the issue of zoom lenses on their website.  Apparently, some of the latest Canon cameras allow two focus adjustment points and the camera interpolates the in-betweens.  But it's only a few Canon cameras at the moment and no Nikons.

http://support.fo-cal.co.uk/article/31-calibrating-zoom-lenses-afma-auto-focus-adustment

Thanks, both, for the feedback.

11 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Well, he didn't actually use those terms - a bit of an exaggeration on my part...:)

They address the issue of zoom lenses on their website.  Apparently, some of the latest Canon cameras allow two focus adjustment points and the camera interpolates the in-betweens.  But it's only a few Canon cameras at the moment and no Nikons.

http://support.fo-cal.co.uk/article/31-calibrating-zoom-lenses-afma-auto-focus-adustment

Thanks, both, for the feedback.

Yes I saw that but I have a Nikon and using FoCal my 80-200mm has a negative setting at 80mm and positive at 200mm. Setting the adjustment half way between the 2 would be a slightly positive setting and I feel that would be counter productive to the 80mm focal length. Of course this is a problem with my lense and not the software and I do recommend it. Primes are dead easy :) 

Archived