Feature Syndication: Words and Pictures

As well as being a photographer I am also a writer (pretty ecelctic topic mix) and I have long been looking for a way to syndicate complete illustrated articles. Does anybody have any thoughts or use a syndication service?

I know about about the top end agencies like Rex Features but does anyone have experience getting acceptedf and using them?

So far I have sought my own outlets but query letters are time consuming and generally each article is specifric so no economies of reuse in differrent markets.

Any thoughts?

Don't know much about syndication services. But I used to do a lot of travel writing, selling text/photo packages to newspapers and magazines. However, things have gotten so frustrating in the publishing world that I've basically given up on writing. If you think stock photography has become difficult, it's nothing compared to what has happened to freelance writing. No one wants to pay you nowadays. Plus the contracts are draconian, and the competition for the remaining decently paying print markets is ridiculous. Sorry to sound so depressing. Hopefully, someone else can offer more encouraging words. Good luck.

John, I agree the whole publishing thing has gone downhill. I still write but I was looking at syndication as a means of getting multiple sales from essentially the one story (sell it in UK, US, Australia ...). That said with so much online that may not work either.

I have frequent contact with professional writers internationally and those that have adapted still make a respectable living; those that haven't are struggling.

Any one else have any comments, ideas?

Archived