I have a Epson V700 scanner with which I used to scan 6x6 transparencies and 6x6 BW negatives ten years or so ago (using XP windows).  I haven’t touched the scanner for now maybe good 6-7ish years.

I am now thinking about shooting films again occasionally for pure pleasure.  (Everybody deserves some pleasures in life, doesn’t he? :) )

Of course I will continue to shoot digital for stock.

I would like to ask a few questions to seasoned scanner users as follows. (Now I use a iMac Sierra (10.12))

1. This morning I downloaded Epson’s latest software/driver for V700.  The interface doesn’t seem to be evolved at all and it looks the same and  rather dated.  Does the current ‘Digital ICE Technology’ work better than say 5-6 years ago?  I was not very successful with this feature before, but I am wondering it has been improved over the intervening years.
  2. Is SilverFast far superior to Epson’ own software?  If so, SilverFast SE 8 will suffice?  Or SiverFast SE Plus is required?
  3. Is SilverFast’s iSRD better at getting rid of dusts than Digital ICE ?  What used to get me down with scanning was dust removal.  

Replies and any tips and advices will be very much appreciated.

Sung

I have that scanner and frankly the way I deal with potential dust problems is to clean thoroughly the negs prior to scanning. This is best attended to with the Pec-12 pads and liquid and careful application will provide you with a good clean neg.

The scanner dust removal is not to be recommended as it potentially degrades the sharpness.

Silverfast with its built in profiles is great for colour work but will not show any great benefit with black and white.

As an aside, the Epson plastic holders are pretty poor. Take a look at the Betterscan holders that allow micro adjust and certainly produce a sharper output. Use the ANR glass also.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html

Hope this helps.

P.S. Get yourself an anti-static blower also. I use this on both the negs and scanner glass.

Modified the link

I have that scanner and frankly the way I deal with potential dust problems is to clean thoroughly the negs prior to scanning. This is best attended to with the Pec-12 pads and liquid and careful application will provide you with a good clean neg.

The scanner dust removal is not to be recommended as it potentially degrades the sharpness.

Silverfast with its built in profiles is great for colour work but will not show any great benefit with black and white.

As an aside, the Epson plastic holders are pretty poor. Take a look at the Betterscan holders that allow micro adjust and certainly produce a sharper output. Use the ANR glass also.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html

Hope this helps.

P.S. Get yourself an anti-static blower also. I use this on both the negs and scanner glass.

Modified the link

Hi ReeRay

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I was wondering if the technology of removing dusts has progressed since.  Yes, prior to scanning, I also used to clean the scanner with Kinetronics solution and microfibre and to air-blow the films, etc.  But those little nasties  :angry: somehow infiltrated, which I had to rid of them one by one in PS.

I also have the MF Film holders and glass inserts from the same company, never used the Epson ones.

Thank you again.

Archived