There was a lot of , er, healthy debate , on the old forum about the need for camera insurance....

This link may be of interest...

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/25/how-to-protect-yourself-against-camera-gear-theft-as-a-photographer/

km

Cheers... good stuff. Just renewed my insurance with glover and howe.... but I would rather not have to use it so any preventative measures are good to know! Bookmarked it for future reference!

My local constabulary place a great deal of faith in Smartwater technology, and have had considerable success in recovery - OK in the UK but for you lads and lasses who can still afford the travel, or who live elsewhere it is problematic.

When I did travel my 'backpack' was always a 'frontpack' for the valuable gear in the more dodgy locations, and the bags never reached racks on trains and busses. The best defence was really to expect an attempt, and be alert.

I have just renewed my insurance with Cliik photographic insurance, but anything you can do to keep your gear out of the hands of the thieving  git's is good news...when I am out and about in london etc I leave my lowepro rucksack at home and carry minimum gear in a scruffy looking army type canvas shoulder bag over my left shoulder ..leaving my right hand free should I need it.

Archived