Report: new Fuji X100-400 lens

I received this lens day before yesterday. Due to a favorable exchange rate for the U.S., I ordered it through Henry's in Canada. $400 plus savings for me. It took three days to ship.

Because much has been said about autofocus for some subjects like birds, and my using the Nikon system for birding successfully for years, I wondered whether I could duplicate my success using the Fuji system. People on the FujiX forum suggested all sorts of settings to attain focus.

First, though I wanted to see if I could do it the way I was used to. I went into the settings and reduced the focus box not to the smallest, but next smallest. With the new lens giving me a much larger subject than with my 50-140, I am able to put the focus box on the bird's eye. So yes, I can shoot this lens like I'm used to. AF all the way.

The lens is sharp, like every Fuji lens I own, but equal with the 50-140. I took most of my shots at 400 and feel no need to back off for more sharpness. It's a beast of a lens, but the OIS is fantastic, and I shot everything at 400 hand-held.

It's a Wow lens!

Betty

I received this lens day before yesterday. Due to a favorable exchange rate for the U.S., I ordered it through Henry's in Canada. $400 plus savings for me. It took three days to ship.

Because much has been said about autofocus for some subjects like birds, and my using the Nikon system for birding successfully for years, I wondered whether I could duplicate my success using the Fuji system. People on the FujiX forum suggested all sorts of settings to attain focus.

First, though I wanted to see if I could do it the way I was used to. I went into the settings and reduced the focus box not to the smallest, but next smallest. With the new lens giving me a much larger subject than with my 50-140, I am able to put the focus box on the bird's eye. So yes, I can shoot this lens like I'm used to. AF all the way.

The lens is sharp, like every Fuji lens I own, but equal with the 50-140. I took most of my shots at 400 and feel no need to back off for more sharpness. It's a beast of a lens, but the OIS is fantastic, and I shot everything at 400 hand-held.

It's a Wow lens!

Betty

I got mine in the kit with the 1.4x teleconverter yesterday but it was grey and drizzling. This morning is foggy so not good conditions to test a relatively slow, long lens! But I agree it feels solid and I believe it will work for my purposes (at least most of the time). Just need the X-T2 to get the most out of it I think.

I contemplated getting the TC, Martin. Then sanity returned and I remembered the one I got at the beginning of my Nikon years that I maybe used once. I don't remember why I didn't like using it, but it was probably the bother, lol.

I contemplated getting the TC, Martin. Then sanity returned and I remembered the one I got at the beginning of my Nikon years that I maybe used once. I don't remember why I didn't like using it, but it was probably the bother, lol.

I reasoned that for only an extra £100 if I did not like it I could sell it at a profit anyway as they are £329 on their own! I did use both the 1.4x and 2x on my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 and the 1.4x on the 100-400mm (rented).

I actually will use the TC with the 50-140 as part of a manageable core news gathering kit, the idea being that it will be standby for the rare times I need just a bit more reach. There is negligible weight/bulk penalty. The 100-400mm will not be part of that everyday kit of X-T1 (+ a second body probably) 16-55mm f2.8, 50-140 f2.8, Nissin i40 flash and a laptop.  I can then add a prime or two or the 10-24mm depending on the day's plans. It all fits in a small backpack that I can carry all day.

The fog lifted after lunch but I was unable to get out as I had some other jobs to do. It looks as though I will have to wait until Sunday before I can give the 100-400mm a proper airing :(

Yes, the 100-400 lens is a specialty lens to only be carried for a specific shoot when that kind of reach is needed. Its too heavy for me to want to haul it around "just in case". It's more of an indulgence for me since birds aren't big stock sellers for me. Not that I won't upload them, but shooting birds is more of a love affair than a business affair.

Although when out with the lens, you never know what photo op the lens will give you access to. Yesterday while out to test the lens with birds, a truck pulled up nearby, a man got in the lift bucket and worked high up on electrical lines. I had the reach necessary to get good shots!

Yes, the 100-400 lens is a specialty lens to only be carried for a specific shoot when that kind of reach is needed. Its too heavy for me to want to haul it around "just in case". It's more of an indulgence for me since birds aren't big stock sellers for me. Not that I won't upload them, but shooting birds is more of a love affair than a business affair.

Although when out with the lens, you never know what photo op the lens will give you access to. Yesterday while out to test the lens with birds, a truck pulled up nearby, a man got in the lift bucket and worked high up on electrical lines. I had the reach necessary to get good shots!

Hence having the 1.4 xTC in my news kit, for those occasional situations. I will see how it goes and whether I add the forthcoming 2x TC (perhaps instead of the 1.4x) for news use with the 50-140mm, in extremis.

You'll find the new zoom, with good technique, is as sharp as the beloved 50-140. I stepped back and hand held, filled the frame with an Iris bloom, and then a Hyacinth blossom, and both were cuttingly sharp.

Archived