Hello again :),

I would use the time to create more photos. An agency like Alamy is there to do this for you hence the complete collection. They will bring the photos to the costumers.

PS. which other agency? Some shortcut?

Mirco

I put a link to my Alamy collection on my own photography website. For a while I took it off, thinking I wanted to make any sale directly with the customer. Traffic on my site is a tiny fraction of what it is on Alamy, and Alamy has a sales staff while I do not. So I leave it on there and really can't say if it helps.

I put a link to my Alamy collection on my own photography website. For a while I took it off, thinking I wanted to make any sale directly with the customer. Traffic on my site is a tiny fraction of what it is on Alamy, and Alamy has a sales staff while I do not. So I leave it on there and really can't say if it helps.

Interesting experience Kevin, but how do you attract traffic to your website?

Hello again :),

I would use the time to create more photos. An agency like Alamy is there to do this for you hence the complete collection. They will bring the photos to the costumers.

PS. which other agency? Some shortcut?

Mirco

Yes Mirco, but every image of yours here is competing against 60 million images

What do you do for them to stand up?

I do very little to attract traffic. The main purpose of my website is to show and deliver work to long-time customers, hence the Alamy link isn't a bad thing.

Getting good search results for my site is helped by creating and adding to Gallery pages often. (Google and other search engines notice the change in content.) That is about all I know about SEO. It's not important to me but I'll take any new customer that comes along.   

Regularly putting good work on Alamy helps with Alamy rank. If your images are outstandingly good of a subject, buyers will find them among the 60M. If your subject is somewhat unique, you might be competing with very few other images. 

There's an un-scientific method here to check your rank called BHZ. Search this forum and try it out; I think it does reflect your ranking, if only generally.

If you have your own website where you are selling your photos directly to clients then it makes sense to promote yourself.

In the case of Alamy and others i always thing that you submit photos to a agency to avoid promoting and searching for clients. An agency is there to do this for you. If you want to promote the agency so the agency will get more clients then you can go ahead an place links on facebook an other sources but if you want to get more sales i would spend the time that you use for "promoting yourself" to take more photos.

Stock agency clients are not buying a license because they saw a great photo. It is the other way..... a customer needs a photo that they have in mind and will search for it.....no matter what is placed on facebook or other social media. Clients use a agency because they have the choice of millions of images. Nobody will just look into your portfolio only.

Again it is good to add a link to Alamy on Facebook to attract potential new clients to Alamy. If you are thinking to get more sales just create more good photos with good keywording and clients will find them. You only need to share your 50% provision.

Mirco

So some of you have a website.

You guys are not using social media, links in your email signature , blogs or any other way to attract traffic?

Just a website, mainly to attract bigger agencies (which works like a charm). I work as a subagency for the bigger ones. I let them do the selling, promotion, contacting clients, visiting book/publishers' fairs, etc. That's why I give them 50% of the cake.

For me, that's a comfortable situation, 'cause I'm also a photographer who wants to get out as much as possible. So, I don't have to be available for clients. All I do is submit regularly. No stress, no pressure. Very pleased with my job  :)

Cheers,

Philippe

I see you also sell prints on two websites, how good is that business for you? Is it worthwhile investing time on this?

Alexandre,

My website can take print orders, but I don't like the process to fill those orders. (I make the prints here and ship.) Over the years the print sales that do happen nearly pay for the site, so I still offer prints. Even without print sales I would have a website to interact with customers. It also serves as an off-site backup.

Archived