Tiered Pricing

Michael Halberstadt

How about tiered pricing? Might it not make sense to allow photographers or Alamy staff to set pricing. I understand that supply and demand might make even a really nice photo of a very popular subject sell for very little. But what about subjects for which there is virtually no competition? 

For example, I'd be interested in hiring a plane and getting aerial shots above my region. But I could spend $500. Based on previous experience I often see my photos sell for just a few dollars each. Sometimes sales are for "real money" but not that often. Also some contributors have unique niches. As such I have photos so far as I know nobody has of things that are quite relevant. I feel weird when I license those for cheap, I just checked and found a two year worldwide print and web license for $15 for example.

Some ways I could imagine this working would be:

• Allow contributors to set a minimum price but keep other Alamy pricing otherwise the same- forcing the lowest paying news outlets and blogs to cough up a "reasonable" amount if they want a premium photo.
  • Let contributors set pricing as a percentage of a base pricing scheme. I think that's the way my Photoshelter is setup.
  • Simply start a new premium service like the opposite of Stockimo and have a new set of prices all-together

Just an idea....

Archived