Interesting link about trends in Print on Demand

Yeah, read that (got the e-mail, too). Interesting pitch to the sellers with that particular co. and difficult to argue with.  The table is a year out of date and the comments go back to at least June 2014, so it seems that this is a re-hash of a theme which this co. is eager to pursue.

It's an interesting pitch however I think the market will prevail and the 'name your own price' model will decline.

I think they know that too: "If the entire industry moves towards lower payouts to sellers, that's hugely beneficial to all print-on-demand companies -[Our Company] included.   Instead of paying our sellers hundreds of dollars per sale, we can just follow the industry trend, lower our payouts, and dramatically increase our own profits." 

My reasoning is this: Either you have a product that distinguishes you or you don't. If you do you shouldn't be on a POD site anyway. If your product is that different/unique/high quality then should be selling direct to maximise your income. If your product isn't unique then others will be doing the same. Technology increases availability, lowers barriers to entry and the market becomes commoditised. We know from stock what happens when that occurs. It's then a race to the bottom.

Michael

Archived