I always go from raw to jpg. The other day i was curious about tifs so i saved a raw as a tif. The tif is 114 mb! I am using a canon 6d full frame. I also resized a raw down to 3600 and the tif file was still 56 mb. The jpg from raw was 13 mb or so. Those are big tif files! I do believe that the tifs are 24 bit.

I go from NEF (RAW) to 16bit TIFF's which are 204 to 206 MB's.  Those files become 100+MBJPEG's.

Ten years ago Alamy required JPEG's that opened to 48+MB's.  That was in the days when 6MP DSLR's

were top line and you needed a 4000DPI scanner for 35mm film.

TIFFs can get big(ger) and then you get into having to use other formats to save them.

Screenshot%202015-06-07%2015.32.44.jpg

Yes, 2.68 GB when open....got to love layers!!!

I always go from raw to jpg. The other day i was curious about tifs so i saved a raw as a tif. The tif is 114 mb! I am using a canon 6d full frame. I also resized a raw down to 3600 and the tif file was still 56 mb. The jpg from raw was 13 mb or so. Those are big tif files! I do believe that the tifs are 24 bit.

16 Bit tifs from my Nikon D610 tend to run around 145 mb but they're half that size when I convert them to 8 Bit.

Archived