Keyword duplicates question

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is the right section to ask this question.

Let's say I've got a bunch of photos uploaded which have a similar subject - for example some skyscrapers or some Victorian architecture.

While the Essential keywords of each might be slightly different for each photo, the majority of Main and Comprehensive ones would be the same 

The question is - is it ok if a keyword is repeated in 2 or all 3 of the keyword fields? No search engine "penalties" etc for this?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to work out Main and Comprehensive keywords once for the whole batch (in such a way that they are relevant to each photo of course) - and then quickly adjust the Essential ones for each which wouldn't take that long. Cause If I have to cherry-pick for keywords from all the blurbs of text for each photo, I might go mental after a few hundred :)

Thanks,

L.

Keywords will usually be repeated a number of times as importance in placement is with words that are together. So say someone is searching "dog chewing bone". Images with those 3 words consecutive like that will show up first (also based on rank as well). So you might put the following phrases in your keywords - "dog chewing bone" "dog eating bone" "dog with bone" dog munching bone" etc. Anything you might think someone would search for for a dog eating a bone. So yes, it is fine to have the same keywords more than once. 

Thanks Jill,

That answered my original question.. but raised a new one though:)

Based on your example, if you want people to find your image by typing "dog eating bone", "dog chewing bone", "dog munching bone" - wouldn't it be sufficient to simply have: "dog chewing bone eating munching" inserted into the keyword box so all the options can be matched anyway?

Or does the order of keywords really make this much of a difference? 

Thanks Jill,

That answered my original question.. but raised a new one though:)

Based on your example, if you want people to find your image by typing "dog eating bone", "dog chewing bone", "dog munching bone" - wouldn't it be sufficient to simply have: "dog chewing bone eating munching" inserted into the keyword box so all the options can be matched anyway?

Or does the order of keywords really make this much of a difference? 

Alamy places images with the exact phrase in the order the words appear first ahead of images with the keywords scattered. So to cover all bases, you would put in every phrase you can think of that would cover a search you think someone might put in.

Because if someone searches "dog eating bone" and you just have "dog chewing bone eating munching", then your images will come after the person who has "dog eating bone" in that exact order.

Jill

Archived