PS Actions warning

Probably not needed if you are half sensible, but I've just wasted an evening's work due to a blunder with an Action.

I use actions quite a bit, often to flatten layers, change to 8 bit and save in a given location as a JPG.

Be warned, if you change the name of a folder that is pointed to by an action, the action will no longer be able to find that location. Yes it's obvious, but I failed to realise the consequences when I corrected a spelling error in a folder name. It would be good if PS could post a warning if it fails to find a destination, but perhaps I am expecting too much.

Actions do post warnings for certain circumstances - 50% grey pixels for example.

Also incomplete actions show as such in the actions hierarchy in the menu.

Oddly enough, I was porting Actions to the laptop this morning, and got the proper warning when the destination folder didn't exist. An error box popped up to say "Could not save as "P:\Submissions\Alamy\" because the file could not be found."

Do 'Record Again' on the Save step and all is fixed. This is PS CS6 on Windows.

Colin

Archived