Licence Infringements

Rob Cousins

It's a great concern to most photographers that their images can be 'stolen' or mis-used outside of any licence agreement. A large organisation such as Alamy will always say that tracking the use of every image sold would be a near-impossible task, a view which I completely understand. However.....how about trying an experiment? Employ one person solely to track down infringements on a contract for, say, 2 years and if they have not paid for themselves in that time then OK, experiment over and it's back to the status quo.

I certainly hope Alamy don't waste precious resources by chasing up the use of images that in many cases are not exclusively with Alamy.

dd

Most of us do not have photo exclusives with Alamy. I've been syndicating my material thru my own 2 agencies and many agencies around the world since 1980. No one would really know what was a legit license or an infringement. Sometimes even I have to look thru my database to try and figure things out.

For Alamy to do that would be a serious waste of time. It takes me a long time to weed thru hundreds and sometimes thousands of pages of infringements for a small selection I have deemed as the 'most infringed.'

I have 300,000 photos online in many places,appx 5800 here out of at least Alamy's 46 million.

Too big a task for any mere mortal!

L

Archived