Screw on or square filters?

I'm using my Canon 60D to shoot video, though the question applies to photographs as well. I have to shoot video at 1/50 shutter and I want to keep the aperture between about f5.6 and f11 to avoid a fall off in sharpness.  On bright days these settings mean I can't avoid over-exposing.

It looks like I'll have to use ND filters to get the correct exposure.  I hate using filters as it is just one more thing to carry around and to fiddle with when setting up the shot, so my question is, which type of filter do you find least troublesome in the field - screw in type or square type on a holder? I usually shoot with a 18-135 lens, 67mm diameter.

It depends on your lens autofocus. If the end of the lens is moving, you should use screw in type. If lens has only internal movement, use square filters on a holder. I use both depending on the lens I'm using.

It depends on your lens autofocus. If the end of the lens is moving, you should use screw in type. If lens has only internal movement, use square filters on a holder. I use both depending on the lens I'm using.

The lens end doesn't rotate. Thanks for your input.

Archived