Just for the record: I'm not suggesting that anyone has passed away here, but would they have done that in the days that they made their mark, were that today?

Edited by Robert Brook

Probably not. Hard to capture the decisive moment with the kind of shutter lag you get on phones - never mind the slowness in focusing ;-)

Probably not. Hard to capture the decisive moment with the kind of shutter lag you get on phones - never mind the slowness in focusing ;-)

I once used an ancient Leica.  By the time I had focussed and wound on the film (no lever) any decisive moment had long gone.  The main reason for using a Leica was surely stealth. 

Interesting. I'm told by people who do/have regularly use manual focusing cameras for street photography that they get really good at estimating distance and setting focus in anticipation of that decisive moment. And even I remember in the film days only thinking to attempt one shot of what we would take as a sequence today; wind-on speed wasn't a consideration. Well-practised zone focusing helps. Can you zone focus an iphone to reduce shutter lag?

All this is firmly tongue in cheek of course ;-)

I did notice that on the same page as the article in the Guardian they were offering a "digital SLR" as a prize. The SLR in question?  Sony CSC!!

In answer to the OP question I think the "big names" would have tried new technologies, then made a decision for themselves.

Allan