Probably not. Hard to capture the decisive moment with the kind of shutter lag you get on phones - never mind the slowness in focusing ;-)

I once used an ancient Leica.  By the time I had focussed and wound on the film (no lever) any decisive moment had long gone.  The main reason for using a Leica was surely stealth. 

Interesting. I'm told by people who do/have regularly use manual focusing cameras for street photography that they get really good at estimating distance and setting focus in anticipation of that decisive moment. And even I remember in the film days only thinking to attempt one shot of what we would take as a sequence today; wind-on speed wasn't a consideration. Well-practised zone focusing helps. Can you zone focus an iphone to reduce shutter lag?

All this is firmly tongue in cheek of course ;-)

I did notice that on the same page as the article in the Guardian they were offering a "digital SLR" as a prize. The SLR in question?  Sony CSC!!

In answer to the OP question I think the "big names" would have tried new technologies, then made a decision for themselves.

Allan

Archived