Does a buyer pay more for an RM exclusive license versus regular RM license?

wildpixelsnshah

Question

For the purpose of this question/topic, you may wish to consider this photo as an example and available for sale via RM licensing with model release.

Let us further suppose that the photo is exclusive to Alamy (as marked by the contributor), and that a buyer wishes to use this photo as a book cover under the following options:

• Image Use: Editorial
  • Details of Use: Book, print and/or ebook
  • Image size: 1 page
  • Placement: Front cover
  • Print run:  up to 100,000
  • Start Date: 30 Jun 2024
  • Duration: 5 years
  • Territory: Worldwide

I find that inputting the above specifications into the online calculator/dropdown menu options yields a price of 710 GBP for the RM license.

On this page, under the FAQs there is the question: Do you offer custom license? To which, Alamy responds yes, and as an example, mentions that if the image is exclusive to Alamy, then there is a surcharge of 375 GBP.

Taking all of this into account, does this mean that:
-if the buyer buys the image without explicitly requesting exclusivity as a customisation on the license to Alamy, then he/she pays 710 GBP and
-if the buyer buys the image explicitly requesting exclusivity as a customisation on the license to Alamy, then the he/she pays 1085 GBP?

By `explicitly requesting exclusivity', I mean that the buyer asks Alamy to freeze the sale of the image for the duration of the license (in this example, 5 years) to other prospective clients and/or other limiting factors discussed perhaps with the client (such as image size or print run).

I want to remark that I am not asking about the commission structure of Alamy Platinum, but what the end user/client/buyer pays. Thank you for your help and responses in advance.

4 answers to this question

I would expect that if the customer asks for exclusivity the fee would be increased but don't have any sales of this nature. I'd also say the licence fees associated with most sales are significantly below those shown by the price calculator.

Mark

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I was offered a book cover for one cutout image with the condition that any other sales of this and similar images (i.e. the original non-cutout version of the same), here and elsewhere, could in the future be done for the same purpose only. They offered $3k. As the original image was not exclusive to Alamy and I could not regulate its sales via another agency, I lost the deal. Although the customer might not buy it for many other reasons as well… And now the images are cheaper than that time…

My one and (so far) only request for RM exclusivity for a two year period attracted a decent $$$ price for a magazine cover but whether that was an uplift from the normal cover price I can't really say.

11 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

My one and (so far) only request for RM exclusivity for a two year period attracted a decent $$$ price for a magazine cover but whether that was an uplift from the normal cover price I can't really say.

It was thinks me, I had several journal/magazine covers w/o exclusivity all between $120-250.