Using 2017 iMac as display for M series MacBook

My 2017 iMac is beginning to show its age performance wise versus the new M series Macs, but the 27" Retina screen is still great. So I'm starting to contemplate updating my system and wondering if I can use my iMac as a screen for a new M series MacBook. From what I understand, target display mode is no longer supported, but I came across the Astropod Luna Display and also Duet Display as a possible workarounds. Anyone have any experience of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uau3wmvE_FM

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Funnily enough I've been looking at this as well. The loft has a number of imacs from through the years going back to the first Bondi imac.

I think its only a small subset of imacs that can be used as an external monitor, and then I think with a much older operating system on the host computer. Sorry I havent got any more info as I was starting to go around in circles, (and ended up taking out an already upgraded 2Tb disk from an early 27incher to use as a spare external hard drive. I thought about splitting for parts, but I dint think its worth the hassle!

Hugh

Just now, StokeCreative said:

Funnily enough I've been looking at this as well. The loft has a number of imacs from through the years going back to the first Bondi imac.

I think its only a small subset of imacs that can be used as an external monitor, and then I think with a much older operating system on the host computer. Sorry I havent got any more info as I was starting to go around in circles, (and ended up taking out an already upgraded 2Tb disk from an early 27incher to use as a spare external hard drive. I thought about splitting for parts, but I dint think its worth the hassle!

Hugh

Of course everything is being diligently photographed so you never know.....

1 hour ago, Cal said:

I think you might be able to get it to work with OpenCore Legacy Patcher, or by simply wiping the Mac and reinstalling High Sierra (they removed target display mode in later versions).

From what I've read, in the case of 2017 iMacs it also coincides with a hardware change (Retina display) as Apple never wrote the new code required to support target display mode on iMacs with Retina displays.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman