MacOS Finder - incorrect rendering of AdobeRGB camera jpgs

Not sure if this only affects certain camera jpgs, but I've just noticed that my MacOS Ventura system renders thumbnails of in camera jpgs direct from my Sony RX100 Mk3 and Lumix G100 cameras incorrectly if the in camera color space is set to AdobeRGB. They are rendered dull (i.e. the AdobeRGB data is being displayed as if it's sRGB). Opening the image in PS and resaving with "embed profile" fixes it. Problem seems to occur because in camera jpgs are usually only tagged as AdobeRGB or sRGB and the color profile is not embedded (to save space). It's not a big deal, but I thought Apple were supposed to be really good at color management. Adobe LR and Bridge render thumbnails of my in camera AdobeRGB jpgs correctly.

I'm curious to know if this a more widespread problem. Try taking 2 identical shots of the same scene (perhaps a color chart), one with camera set to aRGB and the other set to sRGB colour spaces. Transfer the in camera jpgs to computer and inspect thumbnails in Finder/File Explorer and any other apps you choose. The thumbnails should be rendered almost identically (unless scene contains lots of colour outside sRGB color space). MacOS Color Picker app can be used to check colour patches if needed.

Mark

Astonishing Mark. Not the fact that in-camera JPEG thumbnails are not properly colour managed by the Mac Finder but that you actually consider it worth investing time and energy investigating this. Who uses the Mac FInder for image management? Don't answer. Happy Christmas 😀.

MDM - "Astonishing Mark. Not the fact that in-camera JPEG thumbnails are not properly colour managed by the Mac Finder but that you actually consider it worth investing time and energy investigating this. Who uses the Mac FInder for image management? Don't answer. Happy Christmas 😀."

Indeed. My main reason for investigating was I had similar problems in the image browser I use every day. I only discovered that Finder was also wrong by accident when doing a back to back comparison. As a result of my feedback the author of the image browser I use has now largely fixed the problem. So for me, it's absolutely been worth it.

It is sobering when checking other image browser / DAM packages just how many fail to get the basics right when it comes to AdobeRGB. I won't name names.

Adobe's "premium" position is well deserved as they tend to get this stuff right. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman