Ever been refused car insurance because you're a snapper?

I've just been turned down getting a quote from a Classic Car insurance provider because I'm a photographer - and I wouldn't even be using this car for my work!  :angry:  Fortunately I have existing insurance for said vehicle and for my other work car, but I find it very strange that some people's perceptions are that all or most photographers are paparazzi!   No matter how it was explained to the underwriters that I am not out chasing celebs, they would not budge.  Anyone else had a similar, rather baffling experience like this? :unsure:

How very odd, and NO, absolutely not. Maybe the main difference is that you HAVE a classic car and they are being ultra cautious, rather than penalising you because you are a photographer?? I have used Churchill, The AA and Direct Line with no such issues over the last 11 years.
nj

Never had an issue with general car insurers - I discovered the delights of the only online brigade....they don't charge for ammending details such as address......nice.

It might be that business cover is not something they have with the policy but then if you don't need or want it, why would they say no.....

I use supplementary car insurance to cover all excesses etc on car hire. An annual policy is up to about £100 including USA & Canada.

Cuts out most of the usual problems.

In your particular case it may be that the provider had a better offer from somebody else.

dov

I thought it was a bit weird and its the first time it has happened to me I must admit.  Fortunately Footman James are still happy to ensure me and my beloved Classic wheels despite my notorious profession! :P

Just a paranoid word of warning - you will find a question on most forms "Have you ever been refused insurance or had special terms...."

You have to be scrupulously honest as they inter-refer and void your policy on any excuse.....

Hardly classics but all my Land Rovers are covered through FJ  - reasonable and no silly questions

Back in 2005 I was refused car insurance for my Megane Coupe by Esure, as I was running a Video Editing / DVD Authoring company at the time, the woman on the phone said they would not insure me as I worked in digital media, to this day I cannot see the logic behind the refusal, so I stayed with Norwich Union for another year, then Direct Line who I have never had a problem with.

Kevin

Got both my Saabs (ones almost a classic) on a multicar policy, would like an agreed value on the 900 Turbo, but its not on there list of classics yet. Pretty good value at £330 full comp. I'm the only driver on both, yet they don't give a discount despite the fact I can only drive one at a time!

CBHTX5.jpg

Yup, I'm aware of the "Have you ever been refused insurance?" question popping up in future.  Mind you, I've been refused insurance by some insurers on my daily or work car because it is left hand drive! :P  Rock on Sheila's Wheels! :D

Archived