"A Better Finder Attributes 7" tool for Photographers with Macs

I needed to manipulate some of the "Date taken" meta data fields and file creation dates on a large batch of digitised photos so they appeared chronologically in Apple's Photos application. I knew that PS/LR can edit meta data images one at a time and maybe LR can do it on a batch? But, whilst googling for the method, I came across this tool.

https://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderAttributes/index.html

I downloaded the free trial (restricted to batches of 5 images) and was so impressed with the extensive range of automated options it provides I upgraded to the unrestricted paid version. It worked a treat for what I needed to do.  The only limitations I came across were OS system related with dates before 1980 or 1972 which aren't supported for some fields.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• M.Chapman changed the title to "A Better Finder Attributes 7" tool for Photographers with Macs

You can batch change the image creation date in Lightroom (even for raw files if you choose that option in the catalog prefs) but I don't think there is any way of changing the file creation date. The only time I have ever used it is when I've gotten a new camera and forgotten to change the date time before use so ended up withj files that were a year or two before the true creation date. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

You can batch change the image creation date in Lightroom (even for raw files if you choose that option in the catalog prefs) but I don't think there is any way of changing the file creation date.

That's good to know - thanks

The Apple photos app seems to be a bit inconsistent when it comes to handling image dates. Sometimes it uses the file creation date (not useful when you've scanned or digitised an old slide or photo). But at other times (e.g. when displaying the contents of an Album) it seems to use the meta data "Date Taken" field. It's one of the reasons why I usually try to avoid Apple Photos apps whenever possible!

Anyway, with A Better Finder app, I was able to get it sorted so that a collection of old digitised family photos appear in the correct chronological sequence in the Photos app on my partner's iPad.

Mark