Presentation & Newsletter Use - Does Anyone Smell a Rat?

Steve Valentia

Question

3 sales this morning which have kept me out of the 'silver club' for this year at least. However, they are all for the same fee ($7), all of a similar subject - the same geographical area near me - and all for the same usage, Presentation & Newsletter, in perpetuity. So, I'm assuming it's the same buyer. 

I've voiced my concerns about this in the past, because having taught at uni's and in public for 30 years, I genuinely don't know of anyone who is making presentations anymore, and I haven't seen a newsletter for 30 years. To me, it's a very convenient loop-hole for buyers to jump through to save themselves money, subsequently leaving the photographer close to the silver line (not silver lining). 

And, while I'm here...what's the difference between 'in perpetuity' and 'Royalty free', in real practical terms? Nothing. The client gets a bargain and our images get used forever for a pittance.

And (again) you know what's worse? We are letting it happen. Forum members are moaning about 'the silver club' and yet, at the same time, we are watching our valuable assets being used for a pittance without complaint.

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Like 5

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

3 sales this morning which have kept me out of the 'silver club' for this year at least. However, they are all for the same fee ($7), all of a similar subject - the same geographical area near me - and all for the same usage, Presentation & Newsletter, in perpetuity. So, I'm assuming it's the same buyer. 

I've voiced my concerns about this in the past, because having taught at uni's and in public for 30 years, I genuinely don't know of anyone who is making presentations anymore, and I haven't seen a newsletter for 30 years. To me, it's a very convenient loop-hole for buyers to jump through to save themselves money, subsequently leaving the photographer close to the silver lining (not silver lining). 

And, while I'm here...what's the difference between 'in perpetuity' and 'Royalty free', in real practical terms? Nothing. The client gets a bargain and our images get used forever for a pittance.

And (again) you know what's worse? We are letting it happen. Forum members are moaning about 'the silver club' and we quietly are watching our valuable assets being used for a pittance without complaint.

I wonder if any other stock agency is any better ? I can't see that, in reality, there is anything that a contributor can do.  Accept, or move away (or explore other options, whilst keeping a portfolio with Alamy) ...

The world is saturated with imagery, hence pictures can be sold very cheaply. In reality a stock agency is really only a place for businesses to buy cheap imagery. For anything more as a photographer, employment, or setting up one's own business, is the way forward to receiving better renumeration as I see it.

5 minutes ago, BidC said:

In reality a stock agency is really only a place for businesses to buy cheap imagery.

Ay, there's the rub (Hamlet: III, I). I joined Alamy and have stuck with them for 18 years because their original business model was strongly pro photographer and strongly against the microstock model. I'm feeling let down, and so should we all. As my mother used to say...if no one complains, nothing changes.

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

Ay, there's the rub (Hamlet: III, I). I joined Alamy and have stuck with them for 18 years because their original business model was strongly pro photographer and strongly against the microstock model. I'm feeling let down, and so should we all. As my mother used to say...if no one complains, nothing changes.

'Moaning' and constructive complaints are very different. Plus, Alamy has changed - thats all part of life. If the big earners staged a huge exodus that might have some strength. But many complained about the contract changes last year, but have since rejoined ... that doesn't send a strong message.

The 'family' -type of business is, generally speaking, a thing of the past.

Went for a walk into Bicester Village today, and the advertising walls of many shops are just like the Alamy front page. This is appealing to the younger generation ....

3 minutes ago, BidC said:

Went for a walk into Bicester Village today, and the advertising walls of many shops are just like the Alamy front page. This is appealing to the younger generation ....

Yes, I'm sure images of falling and apparently dead or dying young men on the Alamy front page is exactly what the younger generation are attracted to - not!

Edited by Steve Valentia

18 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Yes, I'm sure images of falling and apparently dead or dying young men on the Alamy front page is exactly what the younger generation are attracted to - not!

I think they have too much colour in their cheeks to be dead, or dying .... (having seen quite a number of dead and dying) .. It's a new art form. Getting angry about it won't change anything. Have a great weekend !

Edited by BidC

4 minutes ago, BidC said:

I think they have too much colour in their cheeks to be dead, or dying .... (having seen quite a number of dead and dying) .. It's a new art form. Getting any about it won't change anything. Have a great weekend !

Please don't tell me not to complain. It's a basic human right. I've also seen plenty of dead people. Mostly brain-dead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Please don't tell me not to complain. It's a basic human right. I've also seen plenty of dead people. Mostly brain-dead.

OK Sir ! And I am back to wondering why I ever re-entered the 'dying' forum ..

(I'm not sure where in there I specifically said  'don't complain', but naturally I bow to your superior knowledge).

Complain all you like - I'm pretty certain it will fall on deaf ears. 

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend !

• Like 1