model authorization

Jose Decio Molaro

Question

8 answers to this question

I've either omitted it or paid a token sum and put that in with the currency type (for a release of my photos of a red haired young girl, I paid 100 Cordobas (around three dollars and change US).  Considering that I've had a released photo of myself go for $3, paying model fees might be an extravagance.  I've given one subject a print of the photo.  If you haven't paid anything, ignore.   I used an app on my phone and iPad, not Alamy's releases, since the app gives translations into various languages (I've used Spanish and English).

• Thanks 1

Alamy Model release actually asks to "insert monetary value". Model release is a binding contract and I remember reading online that in some parts of the world it won't be valid unless you fill in something (like 1 USD for example, but any currency should be ok). Also if you give free photos that's worth something, right? BUT I'm not a people photographer and not a lawyer either :)  so if in doubt, please contact Alamy contributor support for a definite answer. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

As has been written, at least under United States law there is no binding contract unless something of value, money, is exchanged.

Chuck

If I remember correctly, that can be as little as a penny. 

10 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If I remember correctly, that can be as little as a penny. 

Rebecca,

According to the legal department of a major U.S. bank, I did their annual report photography for years, in order for a release to be legally binding, it had

to be one U.S. dollar or more.  That is what they told me and at the start of every shoot day the art director would hand me an envelope with plenty of single 

dollars.

Chuck

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Rebecca,

According to the legal department of a major U.S. bank, I did their annual report photography for years, in order for a release to be legally binding, it had

to be one U.S. dollar or more.  That is what they told me and at the start of every shoot day the art director would hand me an envelope with plenty of single 

dollars.

Chuck

Okay, so that would be around 50 cordobas to equal a dollar here.    Thanks.  Alamy might need to make that a bit clearer other than what's on its form as I need Spanish language releases here.

2 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Okay, so that would be around 50 cordobas to equal a dollar here.    Thanks.  Alamy might need to make that a bit clearer other than what's on its form as I need Spanish language releases here.

Rebecca,

This was in the United States, I would not assume that it has relevance elsewhere?  the law in specific countries may vary.  I was told that under U.S. law a release is only valid

if "something of value" is exchanged.

Chuck

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Rebecca,

This was in the United States, I would not assume that it has relevance elsewhere?  the law in specific countries may vary.  I was told that under U.S. law a release is only valid

if "something of value" is exchanged.

Chuck

Better safe than sorry with this.  I don't pay me for my self-releases, though for me and the critters.