Phillippines - anyone know if a Forumite is based there ?

Initially I'd like to let them know that the disaster has  made many of us realize how trivial some of our concerns about our portfolios and CTR actually are. 

Long term of course like most people I would like to offer any help that I can - so if you can remember who lives there  - and if, and when, they get power, time and facilities to make contact again, I'd ask them to please get in touch - it is really hard to watch the reports - and that comes from someone who spent thirty odd years in Fleet Street !

I will just say one thing - I'm not always the greatest fan of the United States and the way that they do things - but by crikey they were on the ball with getting their Marines in to help with logistics.........

My wife is from the Philippines and we have built a home there with plans to retire in Phils some day. I consider it my second home. The disaster has been so hard to comprehend. Millions of Filipinos, in my mind the best people on the planet, are suffering right now. If you can donate to your local relief efforts, please do so. I'm sure many of you have been to the Philippines and/or know Filipinos personally. If you do, then you know how wonderful they are. Help in any way you can.

Marc

It's a dreadful disaster.  I have been to the Philippines a couple of times: I left in 1991 just before Mount Pinatubo exploded, having been in the area a few days earlier, and was on Cebu a couple of years later when a typhoon was forecast to head onto the island.  All the locals were panicking while trying to ensure that the stupid tourists knew what to do and where to go if it struck.  Thank God it veered away at the last moment and we just had a nasty storm.

+1s to you both: our troubles are indeed brought into perspective when something like this happens and the Filipinos are indeed a generous and kind nation who have more than their fair share of disaster and devastation and deserve all the help we can give.

Archived