Computer Monitor Adjustment Problem

Bryan

Question

I've an aged but good Dell monitor attached to my Windows 10 box.

Occasionally the monitor screen adjust window pops up without my bidding and obscures what I am trying to see. I can't make this window appear when I do want it and I can't access the content when it is there. Pressing the buttons on the monitor itself sometimes makes it disappear, but that might just be coincidence as it normally does eventually go.  I've tried to search for a new Dell screen driver that is compatible but have failed. 

This is very irritating.  Any ideas how to find a fix - short of buying a new monitor?

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Occasionally the monitor screen adjust window pops up without my bidding and obscures what I am trying to see

Would this be the Windows 10 adjust window, or a Dell-branded one or possibly from the graphics card manufacturer, mine is NVidia for example though perhaps yours is a Dell graphics card.  Not sure I'd have an answer either way but it might help someone else get to the bottom of it. Is it the same as the option that could be selected from the right-click menu?

Thanks Harry. Dismantling the monitor as suggested on that forum seems tad drastic, but may be necessary.

According to Device Manager I have a Nividia Gforce GT 640 card, while the monitor appears as a Generic PnP Monitor. I can bring up the master screen adjust menu by pressing one of the buttons on the front of the monitor, and have chosen to Reset to Factory Settings. I'll see what transpires. I don't appear to be able to adjust the brightness etc from that menu.

Yes, dismantling seems like a step too far but it might be worth investigating the 'feel' of the buttons in case it might be associated with the problem. He also suggests unplugging the monitor from the computer to see if the OSD still comes up by itself, so ruling out a software/driver problem. Probably also worth looking around for a new screen, I find Dell Ultrasharps to be reasonable quality and widely available, though any monitor should really be calibrated, plenty about that on the forum.